Brochel Castle is a ruined castle from the Late Medieval (12th to 16th century) period.
Brochel Castle was built by the MacLeods of Lewis in the 15th century, it was once a very impressive castle having three storeys and four towers. The castle could only be entered via a heavily guarded entrance to the rear as it was impregnable from the sea and was built on a two level cliff-top plateau. The castle was vacated, it is believed, in the mid 1600ís, around 1670, when the MacLeod family moved to Kilmoluag.
Brochel Castle was visited by Boswell & Johnson in 1773.