The Portree steamer called in to the port at Broadford ('Broad Firth') twice daily before World War II. Around 1811 a lime kiln was established here, it supplied lime for building and liming the fields in the area. It was hoped that coal from Portree would fuel the kiln. In 1843 Broadford only consisted of 3 houses and an Inn, it now enjoys second town status to Portree. Broadford is dominated by the slopes of Beinn na Callich and bordered by the views of Broadford Bay.
There is a tradition that magical music can be heard on a fairy knoll which is located where the garage now stands!